I am pleased to inform you that you may now register and submit abstracts for the Society for Economic Anthropology’s 2020 Spring Meeting on the theme of Convenience, at Notre Dame U. Apr 30 – May 2, organized by Rahul Oka, Samantha Zepponi, and Reiti Gengo. Yay!
The registration and abstract submission deadline is 15 Jan 2020, with acceptances sent by 30 Jan (the date may be wrong on the AAA website– we’re fixing this).
We’re trying out some newly invented traditions for this year’s meeting.
- We have rescheduled the poster session to immediately after the lunch break on the Friday of the Meeting. We have found in recent years that the traditional poster time, Friday night, did not lend itself to the level of intellectual stimulation and engagement we strive for; we’re often too tired to talk much shop by the end of a long day of talking shop!
- You’ll see that the student registration fee is way cheaper now ($40!) and the professional member rate is a bit more than previously ($120). And you’ll notice that there is no separate fee for the banquet. This year’s banquet is on the (Notre Dame) house. We continue contemplating how to make the banquet tradition as financially accessible as possible to all members. (Your registration actually comes with three meals: lunch Friday, lunch Saturday, and dinner Saturday– a bargain!).
- As we did last year, some of the most outstanding abstracts submitted by students (presentation or poster) will be rewarded with refunded registration and given travel funds (we anticipate $200 each). Currently we anticipate three such awards.
For more information about registration, go to the 2020 Annual Meeting page.
To submit an abstract:
Please send your: a) paper/poster details; and b) proof of SEA conference registration (pdf of confirmation/receipt) by email to Rahul Oka by January 15, 2020. The submission details should include:
- Author name/s, affiliation/s and contact information;
- Abstract/precis of up to 500 words that includes information on research data/methodology.
Please indicate your preference for oral or poster presentation. Papers delivered at the plenary sessions should be on the conference theme. Posters can be on any topic within economic anthropology. Also please indicate on the abstract document whether, if your submission is not selected for oral paper presentation, you would be willing to do a poster. The deadline for paper/poster abstract submission is 5:00 pm, EST, January 15th, 2020. You will be notified by January 31st on the final decision regarding your submission.”
–Bram Tucker (your president)