The Society for Economic Anthropology Book Prize
The SEA Book Prize Committee looks for the best book in economic anthropology published over the last 3 years. Previous winners of the Society for Economic Anthropology’s book prize are:
- 2003 Salaula: The World of Secondhand Clothing and Zambia by Karen Tranberg-Hansen
- 2005 Tsukiji: The Fish Market at the Center of the World by Ted Bestor
- 2008 Global Outlaws: Crime, money and power in the Contemporary World by Carolyn Nordstrom AND Home Cooking in the Global Village: Caribbean Food from Buccaneers to Ecotourists by Richard Wilk
- 2011 Coffee and Community: Maya Farmers and Fair Trade Markets by Sarah Lyons
- 2014 The Darjeeling Distinction: Labor and Justice on Fair-Trade Tea Plantations in India by Sarah Besky
- Money from Nothing: Indebtedness and Aspiration in South Africa by Deborah James
The book prize includes a $500 award. It will be presented at the fall 2020 annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association in St. Louis, MO during the SEA Friday afternoon business meeting. The winning book will also be announced in the American Anthropological Association’s Anthropology News.
Instructions for Nominations
Deadline for nominations is April 1, 2020.
Nominations must include
- Author(s) name(s)
- Book title
- Publication information including date and publisher
- A paragraph summarizing the book’s argument
- A brief description of how the nominated book fits into economic anthropology
- Contact information for person submitting the nomination (name, email, and phone number)
Authors must be SEA members at the time of their book’s submission. SEA is a member organization of the American Anthropological Association. Nonmembers whose books are nominated will have the opportunity to join the SEA to be considered for this prize.
Books must be published between May 2017 and April 2020. Books previously considered for the SEA book prize are not eligible for resubmission.
Please email nominations to the book prize committee chair, John Millhauser (email@example.com) with the subject “SEA book prize nomination.”