Dear SEA Members –
Here is some recent news from the society. Please pardon the bullets, I’m trying to keep it short and sweet for your reading expediency!
SEA 2020 Spring Meeting
– Rahul Oka (2020 Program Chair) is working on a very exciting program for this year’s meeting at Notre Dame. Please register to come learn and think with us about convenience!
– Abstract submission for AAA2020 in St. Louis is open! Please submit your panel and paper ideas to SEA for review. The deadline is April 8th.
– Section Guest Registration Waivers: SEA can nominate a non-AAA member (usually an international scholar, non-anthropologist or local community member) for a registration and membership waiver for the annual meeting. If anyone is organizing a panel that includes one of these folks and is interested in applying for a guest registration waiver, please contact me as soon as you can. I need to submit our section’s nomination by March 16.
– Community Engagement Grants: AAA provides small grants to sections interested in organizing community engagement events during the AAA annual meetings. If anyone has any ideas for how we might engage local groups in St. Louis, please do let me know!
Newsletter Editor – Our wonderful Newsletter Editor, Walter Little, will be stepping down in November. We are still looking for someone to replace him. Please let me know if you are interested!
– A BIG congratulations to this year’s M. Estellie Smith Memorial Fund Winner: Fern Thompsett (Columbia University) “The Anti-Civilization Movement in the U.S. Pacific Northwest: Building Worlds Beyond Civilization, Towards Sustainability”
– Also BIG congratulations to this year’s Halperin Memorial Fund winners: Esra Padgett, The City University of New York, “Technologies of Transaction: Possibilities and Limitations of Cryptocurrency in the US Adult Industry”; AND Rachael Stephens, University of Pennsylvania “Valuating real estate equity and valuing social equality: property valuation and school finance inequality in Greater Hartford, Connecticut”
– The call for submissions for the Schneider Paper Prizes will be announced shortly! Keep an eye out!
That’s it for now!
President, Society for Economic Anthropology