Photo Credit: Joseph Lanning, University of Georgia
Dealing with Risk
A degree of both risk and uncertainty characterizes most decisions faced by farmers. Hazards such as shifting market prices, soaring input costs, climate change, or an untimely illness make every new cycle of planting and harvesting a gamble. At the same time, farmers’ previous successes or failures with different types and combinations of seeds and fertilizer inputs, their local ecological knowledge, and their access to extension services and social networks may contribute to reducing uncertainty. In the face of these daunting challenges, there is still time for some fun if you play your cards right. The young Malawian card dealer here had no patience for complaints as players bet cups of maize in this rousing game of Blackjack.
Please submit your photos, too!
Please send us photos that you think describes and elaborates the conference theme of risk and resilience, along with a title and short description.
We will use the photos that we receive to promote the meeting. Each week until the meeting we will email an exemplary photo to the SEA-list, with the goal of encouraging interest and thinking through the various meanings and experiences of risk and resilience.
Grand prize: Free Banquet ticket at the SEA meeting, and your photo will be presented in a place of honor at the meeting.
* It must be a photo that you have taken.
* By submitting it to the competition you agree to allow SEA to use the photo to promote the conference.
* You do not have to be an SEA member to enter the contest.
* Please be sensitive to the use of images of people, living or deceased, in photos.
* Due: any time before Jan 1, 2016.
* Send all entries to Bram Tucker: bramtuck [at] uga [dot] edu
We will add a photo credit to the corner of your photo before use. Photos used in emails will have text written over them to announce the meeting.